Thursday, June 1, 2017

Weight loss and why it makes life suck




Hey moms and dads!


So since the end of last September I've lost 84 pounds! Now regardless of the route that you chose to lose weight you still did it! I've never really talked about my weight struggle but I was pretty fit until I was in my early twenties. I started dating a guy when I was eighteen and spent six years with him. We lived together, ate together, got fat together. it was terrible. It was always such a struggle to lose weight. After that relationship I met Michael and I didn't want to be that girl. Not to mention there are some SERIOUSLY nasty people out there who will attack your weight when they can't attack your character. I can honestly say my heaviest weight was 257 last September and it was kind of mind blowing. So now that I'm down to 173 and people can't compare me to pigs, or beached whales or something other than a normal person, I'd like to throw out some tips on how to lose weight and how to keep it off! 


1. Exercise sucks, but learn to love it.
Exercise makes me want to scream in the middle of my two hour workout because it's a love hate relationship. I go to the gym after work and do at least 30 minutes of cardio which is either running or the elliptical. I hate both of these things with a passion. I run because I'm pretty positive one day someones going to chase me with a baseball bat so I try to be prepared. Followed by body weight exercises and then free weights or machines. By the end the endorphins have kicked in and I'm the happiest person in the world haha! So as much as it may suck you have to pep talk yourself legit like an hour before you go. Watch The biggest loser and work your ass off. 

2. Eat protein and cut out the shit.

Protein is your number one friend in weight loss. Whether it's chicken, fish, red meat. I cut out red meat for the most part, we eat a lot of turkey meat. Tuna is my fave with some avocado and fat free mayo. Sugar is 800 times more addictive than cocaine. let that one bake your noodle. I'm not saying I don't ever eat sugar or something terrible. I'll totally steal one of mikes cookies at night BUT I replace it and drink my coffee black. Which ends up costing money because I need really good coffee lol mine comes from puerto rico SOOOO. But for the most part I've cut out all the sweet things and now if I eat something with a shit ton of sugar in it, it makes me super sick. My milk is either almond milk or fat free milk. Mostly almond milk though because drinking another species breast milk is super disgusting. seriously. Cut out all the processed foods, put the Cheetos down. Binge eat on peppers or cucumbers, your body will thank you.

3. Drink your water
Besides the fact that dehydration is SUPER scary, water helps you lose weight. I drink constantly through the day and if I don't it hits me hard. Especially on my work out days when I'm dehydrating myself. Green tea is always really good too. I usually have tea mid day and I drink organic fair trade green tea from target. It's relatively inexpensive and I don't add milk or sugar to it. It has great antioxidants in it and helps your skin :) 

4. Portion control
The more you eat, the more your tummy stretches out. When your stomach stretches it tends to stay that way. Therefore when you eat you may have had enough nutrient wise but because it's stretched out it hasn't told your brain that you're full. So you still have that hungry feeling. Don't over eat, as much as that food may taste amazing just put it down. I can still over eat sometimes but most of the time since my stomach is smaller now it's pretty obvious when I've had enough. I chew longer and wait between bites, we tend to eat so fast that our stomachs don't have time to tell our brains it's full until it's too late! I almost always walk after a meal also. I go to the hospital for lunch since I work in the back building now so walking from the surgical floor all the way down and out to my building helps digestion. I also tend to use salad plates to I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm eating more when in reality I'm not lmao!

5. Do not for any reason take that weight loss supplement crap.
seriously, I work for the number one hospital in NJ and we specialize in Heart and Lung issues. These things will kill you one way or another. Don't take garcinia cambodia, or itworks or modere or whatever it is you're looking for. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on meal plans or weight loss meetings. Go to zumba, make healthy friends and stick together. People who exercise together also eat right together. They're less likely to put you towards that ice cream because they can't have it either. 

6. Don't let people judge you if you decide to have surgery
I know a bunch of friends who have had bypass surgery or the gastric sleeve. For no reason are these people taking "the easy way out". They're not putting a needle in their arm or snorting drugs up their nose to lose weight. They're not taking unhealthy pills. They had surgery to help jump start a weight loss program, they've become permanently portion controlled which is kind of awesome. If that's the choice you make then congratulations for making a healthy choice! Good for you for deciding to be healthy because it's always a struggle but that helps. People are trolls, ignore them.


Those are my top six tips for losing weight! Let me know if you have any tips I can add to my list! Have a great and healthy day!

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment